FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
What is ISELED?
It's an innovative concept of calibrated, digitally addressable, smart RGB LED modules with integrated smart LED driver, connected by a 2 Mbps serial daisy-chain bus. It simplifies the design and production of products with homogeneous, dynamic lighting effects.
Go to the Technology page for further details.
- No binning classes, no bar coding – calibration data stored in LED
- No look up tables in µC anymore
- System assembly using LED from the tape with guaranteed parameters
- Includes diagnostic features
The innovative ISELED concept is based on calibrated, digitally addressable, smart RGB LED modules with integrated smart LED driver/controller, connected by a 2 Mbit/s serial daisy-chain bus. It significantly simplifies design and production of lighting solutions with homogeneous, dynamic lighting effects. There are no binning classes, bar coding and look up tables for calibration on the micro-controller necessary anymore. Included diagnostic features and a high-speed protocol enable innovative lighting scenarios.
- Dynamic Ambient Lighting
- Roof Lighting
- Functional Lighting
- Display Backlighting
- And many more applications other than just interior lighting
- Please contact the LED manufacturers for more information of ISELED Digital RGB LEDs
- The ISELED Application Development KIT can be ordered at Farnell, An Avnet Company
- The ISELED Smart Driver Chip and ILaS Cable Tranceiver can be ordered at Inova Semiconductors
- The ISELED System Controllers can be ordered from:
- The ISELED and ILaS Protocol are protected by intellectual property rights of Inova Semiconductors GmbH. All products supporting the ISELED and ILaS protocol can be obtained from their respective suppliers without any license agreement or royalty payment.
This includes ISELED LEDs, Microcontrollers and other semiconductors from different vendors, often listed on the iseled.com website.
- The ISELED and ILaS Protocol License is required for any new implementation of the respective protocols on semiconductor components and can be obtained from Inova Semiconductors.
- The non-exclusive license is available under RAND terms (Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory) to ensure ISELED and ILaS conformance and the right to use the trademark.
The ILaS bus concept (ISELED Light and Sensor network) is an extension of the original ISELED protocol. With ILaS not only LED elements, but also other components such as matrix LED lights, sensors and actuators can be controlled in large numbers via a simple two-wire connection.
ILAS supports segmented daisy chains with max. 4097 clients and a point-to-point connection. The high data rate of 2 Mbit/s is scalable. For lighting applications LIN and CAN have limitations, like no scalability, limited data rate, less clients and higher system costs. Of course LIN, CAN or Ethernet used for other car functions can be combined with ISELED used for lighting.
- Allows a 1 step Mac Adam accurate calibration of a defined white point.
- Updating every single LED in a chain with 100 LEDs is performed in 5.25ms, allowing frame rates of over 100Hz.
- ISELED LEDs keep their setting until they are addressed by a subsequent command with different setting.
There is no refresh required on the ISELED Bus.
- Up to 4079 LED’s are addressable in a single chain.
Additionally there is one broadcast address and 16 group addresses to which of them any ISELED LED can be assigned to.
- The serial bus supports short cable segments between LEDs, when using appropriate filtering to meet the EMI requirements.
The length of cable segments is determined by the cable loss and in a typical automotive application by the EMI requirements. This is a system subject and is dependent on cable type, cable shielding, connectors, etc.
- Recommended max. distance is 15 cm
Automatic and self-controlled temperature compensation is supported by integrated temperature sensor in the LED module. It can be enabled/disabled with the INIT command for the red channel.